Saturday, September 1, 2012

Saturday Afternoon


Lying on the couch  Kyle's at work. Roo is wiped out.  Every so often I think maybe riding a bike might be good for my back.  I give it a try and usually end up paying for it for weeks.  

I tried it today. We'll see how it turns out. I took Roo. She was a champ. She ran along side me without a hitch. Meaning without a problem.  Of course she was "hitched" with her leash. Anyway, she was very impressive.   It was about mile and a half each way.  Flat in both directions. We sat and had coffee with friends at Cafe Italia listening to a band play Average White Band, Tower of Power and various other 70s funk and soul. 

Anyway we are crashed out, me on the couch and Roo in her crate, watching TV. I just saw one of the most meaningful TV shows in my life.   I watched Louis CK's show on demand from this weeks show on FX. 

I've been a fan of his for a few years but only just recently discovered his show.  It a little bit Seinfeld/Curb-like. Only not Jewish and more realistic, less silly.  Sometimes funny, often awkwardly painful. 

On this week's episode Louis gets a break, a shot at the big time.  The show is shot in a semi, quasi (is there a difference?) reality style format.  It follows him in his life and on stage doing his stand up routines. His humor is very personal, occasionally a bit too crude for my liking, but it's very honest. 

In this show he is presented with the opportunity of a life time.  His reaction and how he deals with it, the way the chairman of CBS makes the offer is one of the most genuine authentic moments I've seen on TV in a long time if not forever. 
Here is a link to the main scene:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPsjN2qQGvE

I have a fascination with stand up comedy.  I have a secret fantasy that I might be able to actually be a stand up comedian.  I have no real "talent". I can't act and I certainty can't sing.  I'm actually banned from singing in my house.  I have been for a long time.  I even shutter myself when I try.  

You may or may not know this, but I have been on a medical leave from my work for over two years due to my back condition.  I want to go back to work and if Enrique  had lived or my next surgery is successful or if I connect to god directly and heal myself I hope to return to work.

I don't honestly think I could have a successful career doing stand up.  For me, standing up might even be a challenge but I think I could have fun and I think I could make people laugh. I did many presentations for my work as a financial advisor over the years and people always laughed at me.  And I wasn't trying to be funny. 

At any rate, I was thoroughly engaged in the way Louis CK deals with the opportunity to change his life forever.  I feel like I'm at that point, albeit without the offer from a major network.  But I  am at a point where I can choose to continue heading in the direction I'm going or take a chance and deal with the uncertainty of A new challenge.  Stay tuned.  

Next up, a nap and a quick cleanup so my wife is happy when she returns from a long day of making women happy and beautiful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment